Fieldwork Student Program
Emerge Pediatric Therapy welcomes therapy students to participate in our fieldwork program. As a teaching clinic, we use state of the art equipment, evidenced based practice, and highly trained clinical therapists to provide quality educational experiences for both level I and level II fieldwork students.
Goals of the Student Fieldwork Program
The Emerge Pediatric Therapy OT and Speech Therapy Student Fieldwork Programs are designed to:
- Provide education and experience practicing pediatric occupational therapy/speech-language therapy in a private, outpatient clinic with a focus on sensory/processing and play-based therapy approaches.
- Practice treatment planning and implementation of intervention with children demonstrating a variety of diagnoses and age groups.
- Practice administering and scoring standardized pediatric therapy assessments.
- Practice communicating with families regarding their child’s progress in therapy through a structured parent education process.
- Promote inter-disciplinary practice among the therapy team at Emerge, as well as with, teachers, pediatricians, psychologists, and families.
- Provide the student with experiences that will prepare them for state licensure and national certification.
- Provide the student with experiences that will prepare them for a profession as a pediatric occupational or speech-language therapist.
Occupational Therapy Qualifications:
Level II: Before beginning the Occupational Therapy Student Fieldwork program, students must have completed prerequisite coursework required by their university and ACOTE to be qualified for their level II Fieldwork Placements. It is also essential for the student to be familiar with developmental milestones across the pediatric lifespan, have an introduction to sensory processing/integration therapy, and a strong interest in working with children and their families. At Emerge Pediatric Therapy, we are looking for level II students who demonstrate flexibility, a strong work ethic, and the ability to perform in a busy work environment.
Speech-Language Therapy Qualifications:
Full-Time Placement: Emerge currently only accepts speech-language graduate students seeking “full-time” placements. Before beginning the Speech-Language Therapy Student Fieldwork program, students must have completed prerequisite coursework required by their university and completed at least one previous pediatric placement. It is also essential for the student to be familiar with developmental milestones across the pediatric lifespan and have had experience working with children in a therapeutic manner. Students applying for placement at Emerge must have a strong interest in working with children and their families. At Emerge Pediatric Therapy, we are looking for graduate students who demonstrate flexibility, independence, a strong work ethic, the ability to accept and take on feedback, and the ability to perform in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
Requirements for Level II OT and Full-Time Speech-Language Fieldwork:
*Please note, if you are interested in completing your Level II OT or Full-Time Speech-Language Fieldwork assignment with Emerge, you will need to have your school’s academic fieldwork coordinator contact us to schedule the reservation. We are unable to schedule reservations through students.*
The following documentation will need to be submitted prior to your first day of Fieldwork:
- Affiliation Agreement from your school
- An updated background check (must be completed within 12 months prior to your start date and this is done at the student’s expense)
- An updated drug screen (must be completed within 12 months prior to your start date and this is done at the student’s expense)
- Updated immunization records, including your most recent TB shot
- Coverage of Insurance from your school
All Level I and II Fieldwork students (for both OT and Speech) are selected on a first come, first serve basis.
It is also required that every perspective Level II OT and Full-Time Speech-Language fieldwork student complete a brief interview with the Emerge Fieldwork Coordinator in their given field. This will be arranged during the fieldwork reservation process.
All school coordinators submitting information for students for the Level II OT program should email the Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Coordinator at email@example.com. All school coordinators submitting information for students for the Full-Time Speech-Language program should email the Speech-Language Therapy Fieldwork Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. All students interested in participating in our Fieldwork Program should contact their school advisor to coordinate the affiliation agreement and reservation process.