Food Scientists (Virtual)- Fall 2020
DEVELOPING FOOD SKILLS
FOR CHILDREN Ages 8-12 years old
Food Scientists is a small group therapy program that focuses on the development of feeding skills based on the SOS –Sequential Oral Sensory Method Approach to Feeding. The group will follow strategies in the upward adaption of the SOS Method for school-age children. Skills with food will be developed through fun and engaging group activities, in a supportive and nurturing environment. The group is led by a therapist formally trained in the SOS Method.
- Learning why our bodies need to eat
- Developing an understanding of what foods people need to eat to stay healthy and why those foods are healthy
- Learn how to decrease feeding distress by exploring and describing foods
- Develop sensory acceptance of a variety of foods
- Develop an understanding of our mind’s role in taste and food acceptance
When: Wednesdays, October 7th – December 2nd
Time: 11:00am – 12:00pm
Cost: $80 per session *
* Cost does not cover food – you will need to provide your own food based on group instruction.
To register, submit an electronic form.
Children are expected to attend every session (barring illness), as the sessions build on each other and group dynamics are an important component. These services are billed as Occupational and/or Speech Therapy services and many parents receive partial reimbursement from their insurance companies.
If your child is not attending therapy sessions at Emerge, we will be in touch with you to set up a brief free screening to determine if this program is a good match for your child.