Emerge Pediatric Therapy is happy to announce that we are now offering Speech and Occupational Therapy to adults at our Durham location! Whether you are looking for support related to sensory needs, organization and execution or your daily routine, recovering from a traumatic brain injury, slowing memory loss or managing feeling of stress and overwhelm, Emerge is prepared to help!
If you have ever felt overwhelmed by sensory input (lights too bright, sounds too loud, clothing bothersome), you aren’t alone. Many adults have experiences like this or similar, and have gone their whole lives without getting appropriate support. These experiences can impact your ability to follow your daily routine, perform well at work, impact your social and leisure activities, and even affect your sleep. The occupational therapists at Emerge have advanced training in assessing and treating sensory processing and sensory integration disorders.
Adult Brain Injury
Our speech-language pathologist is also a Certified Brain Injury Specialist through the Brain Injury Association of America and has years of experience with children and adults with brain injury including active duty military personnel and Veterans. Therapy for adults often focuses on attention and memory strategies to improve function in activities of daily living.
Transgender Voice Therapy
Emerge offers vocal training for transgender females and males in an inclusive, gender-affirming environment. Our speech therapist can offer training in pitch and resonance to feminize or masculinize your voice as well as tips for body language. A strong home exercise program will be provided to help generalize your skills.
Diagnoses Worked With:
- Traumatic Brain Injury or stroke
- ALS and Parkinson’s disease
- Spinocerebellar ataxia
- Vocal cord dysfunction
- Orofacial myofunctional disorders
- Apraxia (difficulty producing speech sounds)
- Aphasia (loss of language)
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Dysphonia (voice disorders)
- Dysarthria (slurred speech)
Here are some signs of sensory processing difficulties:
- Over or under sensitive response to touch, movement, sights, or sounds
- Difficulty with managing emotions
- Easily overwhelmed
- Feelings of being “stuck” in survival mode
- Struggles with transitions or changes in plans
- Picky eating and limited diets
- Trouble falling asleep
- Inability to focus or feel “productive”