Food Scientists (Junior) – Summer 2021
DEVELOPING FOOD SKILLS
FOR CHILDREN AGES 5-8 YEARS OLD
Food Scientists is a small group therapy program that focuses on the development of feeding skills based on the SOS –Sequential Oral Sensory Method Approach to Feeding. The group will follow strategies in the upward adaption of the SOS Method for school-age children. Skills with food will be developed through fun and engaging group activities, in a supportive and nurturing environment. The group is co-led by a Speech-Language Pathologist and an Occupational Therapist both of whom are trained in the SOS Method. The group will be limited to six children in order to provide individualized attention.
- Learning why our bodies need to eat
- Developing an understanding of what foods people need to eat to stay healthy and why those foods are healthy
- Learn how to decrease feeding distress by exploring and describing foods
- Develop sensory acceptance of a variety of foods
- Develop an understanding of our mind’s role in taste and food acceptance
When: Tuesdays, June 15th – August 17th
Time: 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Cost: $100 per session
To register, submit an electronic form.
Children are expected to attend every session (barring illness), as the sessions build on each other and group dynamics are an important component. These services are billed as Occupational and/or Speech Therapy services and many parents receive partial reimbursement from their insurance companies.
If your child is not attending therapy sessions at Emerge, we will be in touch with you to set up a brief free screening to determine if this program is a good match for your child.